Thursday, September 10, 2009

Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce

My friend Sammi and I used to go to a Thai restaurant a lot and I fell in love with this dish. I came across a recipe in the Worldwide Ward Cookbook and decided to try it.

I tried the sauce one night just to see if it had the flavor that I love and it did, but DH hates cumin, or "powdered B.O." as my mom calls it, and was not willing to try the dish. So I had the chicken marinating and DH is working tonight so I made it for myself. It's scrumptious! There's A LOT of flavor going on and it's probably not pleasing to every palate, but if you like Thai, you'll like this!

Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce

Satay:
3 Tbsp. Lime juice (I used key lime because I had it on hand)
1 tsp. curry
2 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 lb. chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
4 medium green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces

Peanut Sauce:
1/2 cup creamy peanut sauce
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. lime juice
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper, optional
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

You will also need skewers

1. In lidded glass or plastic dish, stir lime juice, curry powder, honey, coriander, cumin, salt and garlic until well mixed. Add chicken and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally.

2. Meanwhile, make sauce: In a 1-quart saucepan, mix all sauce ingredients with wire whisk. Heat over medium heat. Stir occasionally, until smooth and warm.

3. To cook chicken, set oven to broil. Spray rack in broiler pan with cooking spray. remove chicken from marinade, reserve marinade. Thread chicken, 1 bell pepper piece & 2 onion pieces on each 8-inch skewer* leaving space between each piece. Place skewers on rack in broiler pan.

4. Broil with tops about 3 inches from heat for 4 minutes. Turn, brush with marinade. Broil 4-5 minutes longer or until chicken is cooked through.

*If using bamboo skewers, soak in water at least 30 minutes before using to prevent burning.


From my picture you can see that I omitted the pepper and green onion and I didn't use skewers. I also grilled them instead of broiling. Also, my chicken marinaded for 3 days because I didn't have time to cook them right away.

The tang of the lime with the refreshing smooth creamy peanut sauce are a great combination. And the honey in the marinade gives the chicken a beautiful color and texture. This flavorful and delightful dish is definitely worth a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment