And they're really easy too!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8-oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 8 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- In a small, heatproof bowl, melt butter and chocolate together. Stir until combined and very smooth. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and red food coloring. Add chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Add flour and salt and stir until just combined and no streaks of dry ingredients remain.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
- To prepare cheesecake mixture, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla extract in a medium bowl until smooth. Distribute the cheesecake mixture in 8 dollops over batter in the pan. Swirl in with a knife or spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (mine always take 45-50 minutes), until brownies and cheesecake are set. A knife inserted into the cheesecake mixture should come out clean and the edges will be lightly browned.
- Let cool completely in pan on a cooling rack before lifting out the parchment paper to remove the brownies. (Hard to do but very important!)
Yields: 16 large brownies or 24 small brownies
I also had a craving for my mom's banana bread and these days, when I have a craving, I HAVE TO have it!NOW! :)
½ cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup mashed bananas
¼ cup milk
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 cups flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup nuts (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs and beat. Add bananas, milk and lemon juice.
Sift dry ingredients and add to wet mixture. Add nuts or chocolate chips.
Bake in well-greased 8x4x3 loaf pan for 1 hour at 350°, or until a toothpick comes out clean.